This article explains how files can be added to plans. Adding files to plans enables users to maintain plan-related documents in one location. When there are two or more team members working on a plan, adding files allows everyone in the team to view the same information.
Tier Availability: Essential, Team, Premium, Business
Add-on Availability: PlanSponsorLink
Security Rights Required: None required to add files. To delete files, the user must have the Delete Documents Right.
- File Types
- To Add a File
- Editing a Plan File
- Deleting a Plan File
- Archiving a Plan File
- Downloading a File
- Frequently Asked Questions
There are several types of files that can be added to plans. Legal Plan Files, Administrative Files, and Fiduciary Files. Each file type offers different document labels that can be selected from a drop-down menu when adding a file to a plan. The file types are list values that can be created by a user. For more information on list values, click here.
Legal Plan Files: Legal Plan Files allow users to add legal documents to a Plan in PensionPro. Examples may include Safe Harbor Notices, Valuation Reports, etc.
Administrative Files: Administrative Files allow users to add forms related to the general administration of a plan. File examples for Administrative Files include a Beneficiary Form, Hardship Form, or Withdrawal Form.
Fiduciary Files: Fiduciary Files allow users to include documents connected to fiduciary responsibilities in a plan. Examples of fiduciary documents include Fiduciary Minutes, Fund Performance Report, and Portfolio Performance Reports.
To Add a File
Plan Files are found by clicking the Files menu within the Plan.
- Open the desired Plan and select the Files menu.
- Select the File Type by clicking the Legal Plan Files, Administrative Forms, or Fiduciary Files sub-menus.
- Click the Add icon in the upper right corner of the grid.
- A pop-up window will appear.
- Click the File browser icon to the right of the Select a File field.
- Select the file from the directory.
- Click Open.
- Click the Type dropdown and select a File Type.
- Users can add a brief description and other descriptive information. This information is not required.
- In the description field, enter a text description that will appear in the grid.
- Click the Calendar icon to the right of the Effective Date to select an effective date for the file.
- Place a checkmark in the Mark as accessed box if the file should appear as having been viewed by the plan sponsor.
- Check the Show on PSL box to have the file displayed on PlanSponsorLink for this plan.
- Check the Archived box if the file should not appear in the active grid.
- Click Save.
If a user checks the box for Show on PSL and the Document Email Use Preference is set to Yes, an email popup will appear where the user can send an email notification to the desired recipients that a plan file is available for download on PlanSponsorLink. Users can adjust this preference as well as the email notification subject and body in the Document Preferences. For more information on Preferences, click here.
Viewing Files on PlanSponsorLink
Files marked Yes for Show on PSL will appear on PlanSponsorLink on the client's My Active Tasks tab to indicate a new file is available for them to download. Please review Understanding Website Rights for Contacts to view which website rights allow clients to view documents on PlanSponsorLink. The file will remain on the My Active Tasks tab until they download the file. Once the file is downloaded, the file will only appear on the Documents tab.
Notes on Adding Files
When adding a file, the file cannot be open on the user’s machine. Having the file open during upload will prompt an error message.
File Types that cannot be added:
File size is capped to 1GB.
If users upload the document to PSL and then log into PSL as the same contact, they will not be able to see the document they just uploaded in the Active Tasks tab. This is a safety measure so when employees upload files to PSL, they do not accidentally mark the file as accessed if they open it to confirm if it was uploaded correctly. If the user logs in as another Plan Sponsor, they will see the file displayed on the My Active Tasks tab as the intended Plan Sponsor recipient would.
Note: Files uploaded under Administrative Forms do not appear on the My Active Tasks screen in PSL. In addition, the accessed status is currently only tracked for files uploaded to the Legal Plan Files tab.
Editing a Plan File
Users may need to perform minor updates to a Plan File's descriptive information.
To edit Plan File Details:
- Hover over the Plan File and click the Edit icon.
- Enter the appropriate changes.
- Click Save.
Note: Plan Files can also be edited by clicking once on the File to highlight it and then clicking the More icon > Edit.
Deleting a Plan File
Security Rights Required: Delete Documents
Users may need to remove an outdated or unusable Plan File.
Note: deleting a Plan File removes it from the Plan entirely.
To delete a Plan File:
- Hover over the Plan File and click the Delete icon.
- A prompt will ask “Are you sure?” Click Yes.
- The Plan File has been deleted.
Note: Plan Files can also be deleted by clicking once on the File to highlight it and then clicking the More icon > Delete.
Archiving a Plan File
Users can archive files to organize the Files tab of Plan Details, hiding the file from the active grid.
To archive a Plan File:
- Hover over the Plan File and click the Edit icon.
- Check the Archived box from the editor and click Save.
Note: Plan Files can also be archived by clicking once on the File to highlight it and then clicking the More icon > Archive.
Users can access archived files for each File tab by clicking the More icon in the upper right corner of the grid and selecting Show Archived. Users can edit an archived file and change the archived status to bring the file back to the regular grid to view.
Downloading a File
Users can download files from the grid. Downloaded files will open in a new browser tab.
To Download a File:
- Double-click a file from the grid.
- The file will open in a new tab. From here, users can save the file.
Note: Plan Files can also be downloaded by clicking once on the File to highlight it and then clicking the More icon > Download.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Which List Values correspond to Legal Plan Files, Administrative Forms and Fiduciary Files on the List Values screen? Users with Maintenance Rights can click Maintenance > List Values > File Types and select the appropriate plan file type listed below:
- Plan Document = Legal Plan Files
- Administrative Form Type = Administrative Forms
- Fiduciary = Fiduciary Files
- Can the same file be added to multiple plans at once? Currently, only a single file can be uploaded to a single plan at a time.
- Can multiple files be deleted or archived across multiple plans at the same time? Currently, files can only be deleted or archived individually for a single plan at a time.
- I keep getting an error message when I try to upload a file. What Am I doing wrong? When adding a file, the file cannot be open on the user’s machine. Having the file open during upload will prompt an error message.