Looking for the Web version of this article?
This article explains how files can be added to plans. Adding files to plans enables users to maintain plan-related documents in one location. When there are two or more team members working on a plan, adding files allows everyone in the team to view the same information.
Tier Availability: Essential, Team, Premium, Business
Add-on Availability: PlanSponsorLink
Security Rights Required: None to Add Files. To delete files, the user must have the Delete Documents Right.
- File Types
- To Add a File
- Editing a Plan File
- Deleting a Plan File
- Archiving a Plan File
- Downloading a File
- Frequently Asked Questions
There are several types of files that can be added to plans. Legal Plan Files, Administrative Files, and Fiduciary Files. Each file type offers different document labels that can be selected from a drop-down menu when adding a file to a plan. The file types are list values that can be created by a user. For more information on list values, click here.
Legal Plan Files: Legal Plan Files allow users to add legal documents to a Plan in PensionPro. Examples may include Safe Harbor Notices, Valuation Reports, etc.
Administrative Files: Administrative Files allow users to add forms related to the general administration of a plan. File examples for Administrative Files include a Beneficiary Form, Hardship Form, or Withdrawal Form.
Fiduciary Files: Fiduciary Files allow users to include documents connected to fiduciary responsibilities in a plan. Examples of fiduciary documents include Fiduciary Minutes, Fund Performance Report, and Portfolio Performance Reports.
To Add a File
Plan Files are found by clicking the Files tab of the Plan Details screen for a plan.
- On the Plan Details screen, click the Files Tab.
- Select the File Type by clicking the Legal Plan Files, Administrative Forms, or Fiduciary Files tabs to the left of the screen.
- Click the Add button on the right-hand side of the grid.
- A slider will appear.
- Click the File browser button to the right of the File field.
- Select the file from the directory.
- Click Open.
- Click the dropdown bar to the right of Type field and select a File Type.
- Users can add a brief description and other descriptive information. This information is not required.
- In the description field, enter a text description that will appear in the grid.
- Click the Calendar button to the right of the Effective Date to select an effective date of the file.
- Place a checkmark in the “Mark as accessed” box if the file should appear as having been viewed by the plan sponsor.
- Users can add an “Accessed Date” to indicate the date the plan sponsor viewed the file.
- Check the box for “Show on PSL” to have the file displayed on PlanSponsorLink for this plan.
- Check the box for “Archived” if the file should not appear on the active grid.
- Click Save.
If a user checks the box for "Show on PSL" and the Document Email Use Preference is set to "Yes" an email popup will appear where the user can send an email notification to the desired recipients that a plan file is available for download on PlanSponsorLink. Users can adjust this preference as well as the email notification subject and body in the Documents Preferences. For more information on Preferences, click here.
Viewing Files on PlanSponsorLink
Files marked "Yes" for Show on PSL will appear on PlanSponsorLink on the client's My Active Tasks tab to indicate a new file is available for them to download. Please review Understanding Website Rights for Contacts to view which website rights allow clients to view documents on PlanSponsorLink. The file will remain on the My Active Tasks tab until they download the file. Once the file is downloaded, the file will only appear on the Documents tab.
Notes on Adding Files
When adding a file, the file cannot be open on the user’s machine. Having the file open during upload will prompt an error message.
File Types that cannot be added:
File size is capped to 1GB.
If users upload the document to PSL and then log into PSL as the same contact, they will not be able to see the document they just uploaded in the Active Tasks tab. This is a safety measure so when employees upload files to PSL, they do not accidentally mark the file as accessed if they open it to confirm if it was uploaded correctly. If the user logs in as another Plan Sponsor, they will see the file displayed on the My Active Tasks tab as the intended Plan Sponsor recipient would.
Note: Files uploaded under Administrative Forms do not appear on the My Active Tasks screen in PSL. In addition, the accessed status is currently only tracked for files uploaded to the Legal Plan Files tab.
Editing a Plan File
Users may need to perform minor updates to a Plan File and therefore need to edit an existing details slider. Additionally, if another user has accessed or made changes to a document, then that user should update the Mark as Accessed and Access Date of the Plan.
To edit Plan File Details:
- Click once on the Plan File once to highlight it. This will enable the Edit button in the right-hand corner of the grid.
- Click the Edit button.
- Enter the appropriate changes.
- Click Save.
Deleting a Plan File
Security Rights Required: Delete Documents
Users may need to remove an outdated or unusable Plan File. Note, deleting a Plan File removes it from the Plan entirely.
To delete a Plan File:
- Click once on the Plan File to highlight it. This will enable the Delete button in the right-hand corner of the grid.
- Click the Delete button.
- A prompt will ask “Are you sure?” Click “Yes”.
- The Plan File has been deleted.
Archiving a Plan File
Users can archive files to organize the Files tab of Plan Details, hiding the file from the active grid.
To archive a Plan File:
- Click once on the Plan File to highlight it. This will enable the Archive button to the right of the grid.
- Click the Archive button.
- The File will move the Archived Files Grid.
Users can access archived files for each File tab by clicking on the Show only Archived checkbox at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Users can edit an archived file and change the archived status to bring the file back to the regular grid to view.
Downloading a File
Users can download files from the grid. Downloaded files will appear in the File Bin which appears in the left corner of any screen in PensionPro. Users can choose to Open, Save, or Delete a file from the File Bin. Deleting a file from the File Bin does not delete the file from PensionPro. It will just delete it from the File Bin.
To Download a File:
- Double-click a file from the grid.
- Click once on a file to highlight it and click the download button.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which List Values correspond to Legal Plan Files, Administrative Forms and Fiduciary Files on the List Values screen? Users with Maintenance Rights can click Maintenance > List Values > File Types and select the appropriate plan file type listed below:
- Plan Document = Legal Plan Files
- Administrative Form Type = Administrative Forms
- Fiduciary = Fiduciary Files
- Can the same file be added to multiple plans at once? Currently, only a single file can be uploaded to a single plan at a time.
- Can multiple files be deleted or archived across multiple plans at the same time? Currently, files can only be deleted or archived individually for a single plan at a time.
- I keep getting an error message when I try to upload a file. What Am I doing wrong? When adding a file, the file cannot be open on the user’s machine. Having the file open during upload will prompt an error message.
Is it possible to add an additional File Type. As you know, currently the options are "Legal Plan Files", "Administrative Forms" and "Fiduciary Files". We would like to create another called "Service Agreements". Is this possible or is this a value set only by PensionPro?